Polymer Clay Owl Picture Frame – First Attempt

Party Favor: Polymer Clay Owl Picture Frame (First Attempt)

So I’ve started experimenting with creating a polymer clay picture frame souvenir for my niece’s first birthday this September. I modified an existing pattern online and have created the above piece in stages. It’s an interesting learning experience for me because I am getting to know more about working with layered clay with this project.

Party Favor: Polymer Clay Owl Picture Frame (First Attempt)

Here’s a palm-perspective size-wise to give you an idea of how big the frame is. Since this is my first attempt, I used the pink base which I intended to do for most of the owls, but I used one of my polymer clay cane experiments for the feathers on the wings. It came out rather nicely but I need to reduce the actual clay content because the frame is a little heavy to hang with magnets on a fridge door.

I am also trying to figure out how to attach the backing to the frame, whether or not it ends up as a standing frame or a fridge magnet.

Party Favor: Polymer Clay Owl Picture Frame Inscription (First Attempt) 

While my original idea was to create polymer letters to inscribe my niece’s name, I attempted stamping the clay while still raw. I just wanted to see th effect. If I do use rubber stamping, I’m going to stain the stamping with a dark colored paint to make it “Visible” beyond the engraving.

I’m actually rather pleased with what I have come up with but it needs a lot of work.  I will try and do another version tonight until I come up with something I like.  Then I need to produce a few dozens to ship home to Manila.  It’s a good thing I have time!

Back to Polymer Clay

I’ve been busy trolling Michael’s waiting for another good sale.  The kind of sale where polymer clay goes for $.99.  It had come a couple of weeks back but I was eyeing other items for the sale, so I made do with 20 bars.  Now I’m getting ready to experiment on souvenirs for my niece’s first birthday in September, and from the looks of what I’m going to try to do, I’m going to need a bar for each souvenir.

I’m also surfing the web for owls and have found some rather interesting owl images.  Still, it looks like I’ll be doing the same pattern I had eyed from the very start.  Invitation and souvenir both.  The tricky thing is that I want to use my Spellbinder to cut the invitation.  While an owl die cut is not available for my Spellbinders Grand Calibur Die Cutting Machine, I’m hoping to do some magic with other shapes and I’m eagerly awaiting the arrival of my dies to see if it can be pulled off.  If it can’t, then I have more dies to use for next time. 

In the meantime, I’ve started conditioning some polymer clay.  I like doing them by hand instead of through the machine because then I get a full sense of the pliability of the clay.   I’m going to try and experiment with creating canes along the way, hopefully to use as embellishments for some fancy owls.  (Not the one for the party, though.)

Watch out for more!