Last week, I tried to create a “hollow” face by using corrugated cardboard as armature (or a support / inner mold) for my owl, and while the “face” or outside portion of the owl turned out nicely, the back was rather scraggly and “dirty”. I took out the cardboard and saw how the edges of the clay had taken its form, leaving a corrugated and unkempt look that was just not desirable for my project. Leaving the cardboard on didn’t look good either, so I guess I am letting go of the idea of using some form of armature for the frame.
Over the weekend, I tried something new. I created a pattern on clay and baked it and used this as the basic mold pattern for my owl body.
I cut a total of three layers of clay but in different thicknesses. It wasn’t a matter of just putting the clay layers together, but each layer served a purpose.
My first cut was the middle piece which I rolled on the 4th setting of my clay machine. For this piece, I cut the body and the actual photo frame hole as I had on the clay pattern.
The second, I cut at the thickest setting, but I only used the clay mold for the outer shape and I used a larger circle die to cut a hole in it, and I positioned this behind the first cut I did, taking care to make sure it fit the owl snuggly.
Note that pressed clay like this can stretch one way or the other if you tug at it, so it’s important to endeavor to keep the shape.
Then finally, I put in a layer of clay which I had rolled at the 6th settingand “wrapped” the two layers together, folding it into the sides and molding it clean.
I baked the piece encased in a parchment paper “envelope” of sorts and put them between two bottoms of a baking pans. The back is hollow and my next step is to create a molded back cover for the picture and something to attach the magnet onto. I’d have gotten to it sooner but I’ve been feeling under the weather.
I’m still hoping to do it this weekend somehow.