One part I like about the holidays most is the wrapping of the gifts. This year wasn’t all that much because Angelo had picked smaller toys, and we really didn’t have many gifts going out. I had postponed my holiday giftgiving to after Christmas, being that we as Catholics, do the Feast of the Three Kings which is another excuse to give gifts. I only have a few I’m putting together, so it won’t be much.
I hate having to throw away good giftwrapping paper, though, more so when they have those cute designs. For my own gifts, I stick to the regular green, red, silver or gold giftwrappers. I am trying to get rid of my stash of several years which I had acquired at a post holiday season sale at IKEA. I had bought some 10 rolls of at 25% the original selling price. January is always a good time to buy holiday wares because everything is being pushed out of the store for a song.
I’ve been busy putting my craft corner in order, and while I am nowhere near finishing, I think I did major progress sorting things out, and one problem I have is that I put away stuff to cut or punch at a later time that the best way to get rid of them is to actually do what I had intended to do in the first place.
I had a beautiful holiday gift bag that had held a present from a friend with gold and white striped tissue in in it. Two sheets. I usually fold my gift bags and had to get rid of the tissue when an idea struck me. How about trying to do pom-pom type flowers? I thought I’d give it a try, and I ended up with a half dozen or so “blooms” like the one pictured below.
How I did it:
1. Fold the paper tissue into two, then fold further into a width that would accommodate your paper punch. I had used a rather wide mega punch so I ended up folding the two-fold into three.
2. To achieve the pompom effect above, I used a multi-flower punch and you can see the original shape below with a view of the back of the flower:
3. I ended up punching a dozen (6 x 2) and I moved the batch by a 1/8th inch turn clockwise to make the flowers separate.
4. I then stapled the whole bunch together and fluffed the petals to form the pompom.
These, I will use sooner than the coming holidays, but if you have a lot of pompoms, you can store them in a jar or a shoe box to avoid them from getting flattened, or you can punch, move the petals to “alternate” but not fluff and store flat.
Sometimes accidents can lead to very positive outcomes like this one.. Here’s something you can do even without any fancy graphics software.
I’ve been working on this card inspired by an “accidental” printing over an already printed photograph. I printed the photo as is, then accidentally printed a background paper over it lending it a ghost-like blur that I quite liked..
I know this effect can be achieved by using a “transparency” with the proper graphics software, but that dilutes the original picture in a way that I wouldn’t want. Here it looks as if the original picture had been printed on a transparent background.
For effect, I then printed a clear black and white version of the same photo and cut out a “window” and put it on top of the bigger printout. You can see the difference in texture here. Voila!
To add some “texture”, I “mod podged” the top of the black and white photo giving it a linen-like coarseness. Then I applied some gold acrylic paint edging on the four sides of that piece, and the bottom edge of the bigger card
I like the depth that layering provides — so instead of printing the black and white as part of the bigger picture, I did it separately and it’s an obvious addition to the whole frame. The gold edging also adds a different dimension to the black and white picture.