Work in progress: My second serendipity background

My Serendipity Background - First Three Layers

Like my first serendipity background, I used torn newspaper to form the base collage of the sheet.  I then sprayed some ink on a plastic surface and dabbed and pressed the collage onto the mat of colors.  I sprayed the areas that didn’t get saturated to “even out” the composition.

I try not to muddle my serendipity background too much, and at the end of the day try not to further embellish it beyond what has been put on it.  Towards the end, I tend to put down layers more deliberately forming a design that would be Artist Trading Card size or ATC-size friendly.  (2.5″ x 3.5″)

Although it should be done on a traditional 12×12 scrapbook page, I did this one on a repurposed manila folder that was letter size.  I wanted more “room” and I ended up cutting more than the usual 12.  After the ink dried, I painted on a layer of modpodge.

Serendipity Background 2 - Halfway through

I love using pressed flowers in my Artist Trading Cards, and while I have two batches on hand at home in my “craft cave”, I couldn’t find them after stashing my craft supplies in boxes temporarily.  I had to improvise.  I have four hydrangeas that are dried and in a vase on my credenza which I “regenerated” by immersing the dried petals in hot water.  Once “softened”, I modpodged them onto the master board.  I had tried pasting swatches of a damask paper napkin but it practically “disappeared” into the background.

Here it is upclose:

Serendipity Background 2 - Halfway through, upclose

I also stamped it with double cirlces using the inner rim of a roll of tape in a bronze acrylic paint shade.

I tried to rubber stamp acrylic paint flourishes which unfortunately did not “float” as well as I had hoped it to, and the final touch was using filing orange labels (those round circles used to color-code files which I painted over with gold.

Serendipity Background 2 - Finished MasterBoard

To laminate the whole piece, I painted it with a generous coating of modpodge once again.  My serendipity background master board!

Crayons and my iron

I signed up for this “crayons only” ATC swap and then a “crayons only” PC swap on Swap-bot which I decided to give a go last night.  I had originally thought of trying my hand at crayon coloring when I signed up, but I had this idea that came to mind last night after dinner.  I wanted to experiment with crayon shavings and melting them by using my clothes iron.

I’m sure you’d be as surprised as I am about how the whole thing came out.  Ta-da!
ATC and Postcard: Abstract melted crayon print

These are my first pieces which I’ve decided to keep for my personal album. I need two of each for the swap and will be doing them later. I did three pieces last night but I had to discard the second because the colors didn’t quite “meld” well and it came out a dark grey in some areas.

All you need are crayons, paper labels/wrap removed, a blade or paring knife to shave the crayon, parchment paper, paper towel, and an old magazine. What I love about this is that it gives me something new to use those discarded crayongs from Angelo’s old sets. I also almost always keep the crayon sets given with the kiddie meals in restaurants.

I’m still trying to figure out how to do a video using my cam of choice (my blackberry bold) but I will do a tutorial once I get that figured out. Unfortunately it’s hard to do the tutorial in pictures but if I can’t do the video, I’ll it the old fashioned way.

I was so amazed at the texture that pulling the protective parchment paper on top produced as you can see in the postcard upclose below.
Mail art: Postcard with Melted Crayons

More on this later!