I signed up for this “crayons only” ATC swap and then a “crayons only” PC swap on Swap-bot which I decided to give a go last night. I had originally thought of trying my hand at crayon coloring when I signed up, but I had this idea that came to mind last night after dinner. I wanted to experiment with crayon shavings and melting them by using my clothes iron.
I’m sure you’d be as surprised as I am about how the whole thing came out. Ta-da!
These are my first pieces which I’ve decided to keep for my personal album. I need two of each for the swap and will be doing them later. I did three pieces last night but I had to discard the second because the colors didn’t quite “meld” well and it came out a dark grey in some areas.
All you need are crayons, paper labels/wrap removed, a blade or paring knife to shave the crayon, parchment paper, paper towel, and an old magazine. What I love about this is that it gives me something new to use those discarded crayongs from Angelo’s old sets. I also almost always keep the crayon sets given with the kiddie meals in restaurants.
I’m still trying to figure out how to do a video using my cam of choice (my blackberry bold) but I will do a tutorial once I get that figured out. Unfortunately it’s hard to do the tutorial in pictures but if I can’t do the video, I’ll it the old fashioned way.
I was so amazed at the texture that pulling the protective parchment paper on top produced as you can see in the postcard upclose below.
More on this later!
I’ve started slowing down with the swaps at Swap-bot but have decided to start drawing postcards with the Philippine map. I’ve done some handmade postcards the last couple of months, but none which included a particular collecting interst of mine among postcards, particularly maps or lighthouses.
With the lack of map choices for the Philippines, I thought it was worth giving it a try.
I started by printing an outline of the map on plain white 5 x 8 index cards in a dark grey, then coloring them with alcohol-based ink and water. I tried to work with the blue and red and fuschia pink shades of Dylusions and a spray bottle of water and came up with my initial 11 sheets above.
I kept one print out plain to have a reference guide because although the ink was transparent, the color was very vivid and strong. It also makes it difficult to just trace an outline because of the archipelagic nature of the 7,100 islands of the Philippines which are not all visible in the drawn map, of course.
I traced the outline of the map and hand-lettered PILIPINAS which is how it is denominated in Pilipino or FIlipino, the local language.
You can see the gaps by the edge, and I filled that out with Dylusions stain and then dabbed on some walnut ink with a foam blending tool to cover the edges and provide a visual border beyond the drawn frame.
Here’s the first of the series:
So I have 10 more to go for this series and hope to keep this going. If you’re into making your own postcards, this is a good way to reproduce your actual art on a postcard. If you’re interested to get one of these, please e-mail me at email@example.com.